Sunday 30 June 2019

Local Butterflies Galore and More!

A quick walk to High and Low Bridge (a bridge that goes over a silted up canal which is between Heggatt and Crostwick) on Friday provided little avian interest but plenty of butterflies and a few dragonflies too. By the time I reached Heggatt Hall, I had seen Painted Lady and Red Admiral. At Heggatt Hall, the Rooks in the treetops were deafening so I soon continued my walk briskly. The hedgerows and brambles beside the footpath towards High and Low Bridge were full of butterflies and I counted 6 species - Red Admiral, Painted Lady, Small Tortoiseshell, Meadow Brown, white butterfly sp. and Ringlet.
Painted Lady
Small Tortoiseshell
I also saw some wonderful dragonflies too - Norfolk Hawker (ID'ed thanks to JWN Andrewes on BForum) and Black-tailed Skimmer. 
Norfolk Hawker
Norfolk Hawker
Black-tailed Skimmer
A Dock Bug (I think) was beside the path.
Dock Bug
Avian highlights were young Chaffinch and Great Tit, a singing Stock Dove and a Blackbird desperately trying to cool down. There is now a very large mixed flock (probably 1000+) of corvids passing over my house every evening which ensures I can't get to sleep too early. I only captured a small amount of the flock in the video below.
Blackbird

No comments:

Post a Comment