Saturday 6 July 2019

Even More Butterflies and Dragonflies!

I took a shortish break from my revision on Sunday to take a quick walk around my butterfly walk but not quite as far as on Friday. The first butterfly was a Red Admiral on Green Lane and this was swiftly followed by a wonderful Comma which is a patch first for me (after starting my butterfly list on Friday) on Mill Road. After that, I glimpsed a Meadow Brown on the margins of the pig field just before Heggatt Hall and then just past Heggatt Hall, I had a Green-veined White (thanks to James on BirdForum for the ID) as well. The footpath to 'my' patch of brambles had a pair of Cinnabar Moth, Painted Lady, Small Tortoiseshell and a Silver Y (thanks to Lewis on BirdForum for the ID). Upon reaching 'my' brambles, I saw a second Comma, a Ringlet, Meadow Brown, Small Tortoiseshell, Painted Lady and Red Admiral. Overall on my small walk, I saw 7 species of butterfly with 6 of them on 'my' brambles. Not bad!
Red Admiral
Comma
Green-veined White
Meadow Brown
Painted Lady
Ringlet
Small Tortoiseshell
Cinnabar Moth
Silver Y

The only dragonflies were 2 Black-tailed Skimmers. I spent at least 10 minutes trying to spot one of the Black-tailed Skimmers settled to confirm the ID but it was easily worth it to see it perched on a twig in the sun.
Black-tailed Skimmer
Black-tailed Skimmer

Avian highlights were a Lesser Black-backed Gull, 2 Black-headed Gull and double figures of Stock Dove on the pig field as well as a Stock Dove singing near Heggatt Hall (again) and 2 Grey Herons flying high over the river valley. Also, the Rook and Jackdaws presumably nesting in the trees just past Heggatt Hall were creating a racket as per usual.
Stock Dove (and Jackdaw)
Lesser Black-backed Gull

No comments:

Post a Comment