Wednesday 17 July 2019

A Few Local Butterflies

On Sunday, I was inside catching up with homework, updating the blog etc. and I needed a break, so I agreed to a short family walk around 'The Heath', hopefully, to see a few butterflies. Just before our departure, I spotted a Comma which fluttered through the garden without stopping (a garden butterfly tick). Along Green Lane and Mill Road, Large Whites were everywhere, a few Meadow Brown fluttered around and a Comma wouldn't sit still.
Large White
As we walked past the pig fields and further along the track to the set-aside field, we saw a flock of around 20 Black-headed Gull (much more than the 2 two weeks ago), 2 Lesser Black-backed Gull, Meadow Brown, Ringlet, Comma (showing very well), Red Admiral (not seen by me) and even more Large White.
Comma
Ringlet
Upon reaching the set-aside field (a small section of a field left to be wild), we saw more Meadow Brown, Large White and Ringlet, my first patch Gatekeeper of the year, Essex Skipper (which was my target species for the day), Cinnabar moth caterpillar, two Red Soldier Beetle, Musk and Creeping Thistle (according to my mum who learnt about thistle on Saturday) and a dragonfly sp. we flushed that zoomed away and out of sight.
Essex Skipper
Cinnabar moth caterpillar
Red Soldier Beetle
The rest of the walk had a Painted Lady, more Gatekeeper, Meadow Brown, Large White and Ringlet and a Crab Spider.
Gatekeeper
Crab Spider

No comments:

Post a Comment